Director of Data Science & Machine Learning - Pricing
Xometry (NASDAQ: XMTR) powers the industries of today and tomorrow by connecting the people with big ideas to the manufacturers who can bring them to life. Xometry’s digital marketplace gives manufacturers the critical resources they need to grow their business while also making it easy for buyers at Fortune 1000 companies to tap into global manufacturing capacity.
Xometry is an on-demand manufacturing marketplace that leverages machine learning (ML) techniques to predict the manufacturing cost of machined parts and produce automated buy it now prices on Xometry.com. Customers love our instant quoting engine, and that engine depends on Xometry’s ML team and technology.
We need a strong data scientist leader to manage our ML & data science research & development and evolve the services that make up the backbone of Xometry’s business. The successful candidate will bring experience as a data scientist and machine learning leader working for a company where “AI” is considered core to the company's success. They should have experience bringing new ML models to the market as part of an online platform. They should be comfortable leading a technical team, working with product and executive stakeholders with excellent communication and stakeholder management skills - particularly when bridging technical and non-technical audiences.
We have a lot of ideas on how we can improve these systems. We need help connecting these ideas to business metrics, prioritizing them with input from stakeholders into a roadmap, executing efficiently from research to bringing ML models to market, and providing proactive communication on the vision/direction and status of the work.
- Serve as a strategic leader as part of our data science & machine learning team, with responsibility for Xometry’s pricing strategy
- Build collaborative relationships with key stakeholders; set priorities aligned to business goals; communicate analysis, strategies, timelines, and work of the data science & machine learning team, and gain buy-in from executive leadership
- Incorporate internal and external feedback to iterate and evolve ML models
- Practice outcome-oriented/KPI-driven team management: Define metrics that lead to business goals and report on the outcomes of your efforts
- Lead complex, cross-team projects to deliver on our product & ML strategy, with a singular focus on driving business results
- Play a crucial role in exploring new machine learning opportunities, researching and performing proof of concepts, and bringing new machine learning and AI solutions into Xometry’s platform
- Develop and implement machine learning models that improve Xometry’s ability to predict cost, price, and sourcing options for our customers and suppliers.
- Responsible for leading the evaluation of emerging technologies, identifying areas for improvement, and developing new features while ensuring the reliability and scalability of Xometry’s platform
- Lead the exploration of emerging AI and machine learning technologies and develop proof-of-concepts to assess their potential impact on Xometry’s platform
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to gather requirements, prioritize features, and define technical solutions based on the latest innovations
- Monitor machine learning models and AI performance and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Contribute to the documentation and knowledge base to help other teams understand and use Xometry’s AI effectively
- 8+ years experience developing and implementing machine learning algorithms, ideally within an online marketplace
- Excellent understanding of scalable architectures and thrive working in Agile environments
- Recognized expertise in the areas of marketplace optimization and pricing theory
- Ability to apply and implement research concepts, ultimately in production quality code
- Experience defining clear, testable research hypotheses, including intended impact on the business
- Deep knowledge of design of experiments, online experimentation approaches at scale
- Ability to formulate and advocate for R&D objectives and results to multi-functional team members including executive business leadership and product management
- Experience with your machine learning models running in a real production environment
- Experience in end-to-end model development and deployment lifecycle i.e., from prototyping to model development and putting models into production
- Strong experience with Python/R, forecasting methodologies, machine learning and statistics,
- Experience with SQL and cloud technologies like Snowflake, Google BigQuery, Databricks, presto etc.,
- Strong fluency in Python and SQL, experience with Tensorflow, PyTorch, Airflow and data warehouse
- PhD in a quantitative field (or BS/MS with equivalent work experience)
- Mission-driven, positive attitude, and ability to motivate others
- Must be a US citizen, green card holder, or a legal permanent resident of the United States
If this job isn’t for you but you have a friend who may be a perfect fit - share this job with them!
Here at Xometry we believe in diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We are committed to welcoming, respecting, and valuing people for who they are as individuals, learning from their differences, embracing their uniqueness, and providing a positive workplace for all.
Xometry is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Xometry participates in E-Verify and after a job offer is accepted, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.