Sr. Application Engineer, CNC Machining
Xometry (NASDAQ: XMTR) powers the industries of today and tomorrow by connecting the people with big ideas to the manufacturers who can bring them to life. Xometry’s digital marketplace gives manufacturers the critical resources they need to grow their business while also making it easy for buyers at Fortune 1000 companies to tap into global manufacturing capacity.
Xometry is looking to add an experienced sheet metal cost estimator to our Pre-Sales Engineering team. The sheet metal cost estimator is responsible for client quoting, supplier sourcing, production planning, and supporting on-time order fulfillment. A successful candidate will have at least 3-5 years of experience in a manufacturing environment. The position will require competencies that include CAD proficiency, knowledge of sheet metal design and fabrication methods, experience communicating sheet metal design for manufacturability feedback, costing, and sound technical communication aptitude.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Analyze engineering models/drawings to define the sequence of fabrication operations to ensure that the design intent and component quality can be achieved.
- Make proper estimations, taking into consideration such factors as materials, tooling, manufacturing times, inspection times and types of equipment required.
- Work closely with Machinists, Quality, Engineering, Management and other team members to successfully satisfy the end customer.
- Experience with sourcing material and finishes.
- Sheet metal estimating experience on prototype, low volume, and high volume quantities
Must Have Knowledge of:
- Multitude of sheet metal fabrication technologies
- Must have experience with programming and set up of water jet, laser, punch press, brake and simple custom tooling knowledge.
- Must have knowledge of welding and cost estimations on welding.
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerance (GD&T).
- Protocols, standards, technologies, and machining applications.
- Reviewing customer RFQs to determine material requirements, processing and job routing.
- Communicating with customers to accurately define requirements and expectations.
- Work with outside vendors/services to achieve best possible prices.
- Consolidating all outside costs and internal costs associated with process time in engineering, fabrication, post fabrication assembly, finishing and QC.
- Creating detailed quote packages for final review.
- Managing quote logs daily and KPI tracking
- Interrogate engineering solid models, drawings and is familiar with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T).
- manipulate / modify solid models
- Provide technical support to machinists and process engineers during Sheet Metal fabrication operations.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational discipline
- Communicate effectively, both verbally, and in writing.
- Read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings, and specifications.
- Effectively review and analyze DFM problems.
- Operate effectively in a team environment.
If this job isn’t for you but you have a friend who may be a perfect fit - share this job with them!
Here at Xometry we believe in diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging. We are committed to welcoming, respecting, and valuing people for who they are as individuals, learning from their differences, embracing their uniqueness, and providing a positive workplace for all.
Xometry is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Xometry participates in E-Verify and after a job offer is accepted, will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S.