Become a part of our caring community and help us put health firstHumana’s Clinical Strategy and Analytics (CS&A) Team is seeking a Research Scientist.
Healthcare is rapidly changing, and our members are living longer, often with more chronic conditions. The Clinical Strategy & Analytics team innovates at the intersection of enterprise value and member health by identifying opportunities and building solutions to improve clinical outcomes and lower costs for millions of Medicare Advantage beneficiaries. We accomplish this through an evidence-based approach using data analytics, clinical expertise, a strategic mindset, and rigorous study designs. In this multi-disciplinary team, you will have the opportunity to work closely with strategy partners and clinicians to shape Humana’s enterprise clinical strategies and initiatives.
The Research Scientist 2 applies mathematical, statistical, and epidemiologic principles to identify trends, assess variable associations or cause-effect relationships, and size potential opportunities using high volumes of complex data. Specifically, this role will be involved in sizing opportunities to mitigate inappropriate care in the healthcare space. The Research Scientist 2 work assignments are varied and frequently require interpretation of data/information and independent judgement.
As a Research Scientist, you will:
- Collaborate with analytic and data teams to set objectives, approaches, and project plans
- Leverage a wide range of analytics methods ranging from descriptive to prescriptive to transform high volumes of complex data into analytics solutions and actionable insights
- Collaborate with clinicians and clinical informaticists to define various clinical concepts and extract clinical information from medical, pharmacy, and lab claims for analytics and modeling purposes
- Translate analytic results into key takeaways and communicate results to business partners
- Understand department, segment, and organizational strategy and operating objectives, including their linkages to related areas
- Make decisions regarding own work methods, occasionally in ambiguous situations with general guidance
Use your skills to make an impact
- Master's Degree in a quantitative discipline such as Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Economics, Statistics, Clinical Informatics, and/or related fields
- 1-2 years healthcare or managed care working experience
- Demonstrated strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated strong interest in healthcare and desire to make a positive impact on population health
- Flexible, dynamic personality who can work independently and collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team
- 2+ years of experience in applying mathematics, statistics, epidemiologic principals to transform high volumes of complex data into actionable insights
- Clear and concise oral and written communication skills, with a proven ability to translate complex methodologies and analytical results to higher-level business insights and key takeaways
- Experience manipulating and analyzing data using Python, SAS, R, or similar software
- Actuarial designation and/or related experience
- Experience working with medical, pharmacy, and/or lab claims
- Demonstrated familiarity with hypothesis testing, statistical methods, study design techniques and/or clinical concepts
- Experience using Pyspark, DataBricks, and/or Microsoft Azure
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Pay RangeThe compensation range below reflects a good faith estimate of starting base pay for full time (40 hours per week) employment at the time of posting. The pay range may be higher or lower based on geographic location and individual pay decisions will vary based on demonstrated job related skills, knowledge, experience, education, certifications, etc.
$69,800 - $96,200 per year
This job is eligible for a bonus incentive plan. This incentive opportunity is based upon company and/or individual performance.
Description of BenefitsHumana, Inc. and its affiliated subsidiaries (collectively, “Humana”) offers competitive benefits that support whole-person well-being. Associate benefits are designed to encourage personal wellness and smart healthcare decisions for you and your family while also knowing your life extends outside of work. Among our benefits, Humana provides medical, dental and vision benefits, 401(k) retirement savings plan, time off (including paid time off, company and personal holidays, volunteer time off, paid parental and caregiver leave), short-term and long-term disability, life insurance and many other opportunities.
Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM) is committed to putting health first – for our teammates, our customers and our company. Through our Humana insurance services and CenterWell healthcare services, we make it easier for the millions of people we serve to achieve their best health – delivering the care and service they need, when they need it. These efforts are leading to a better quality of life for people with Medicare, Medicaid, families, individuals, military service personnel, and communities at large.
Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of Humana not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because he or she is a protected veteran. It is also the policy of Humana to take affirmative action to employ and to advance in employment, all persons regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status, and to base all employment decisions only on valid job requirements. This policy shall apply to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, upgrading, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, recall, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation and selection for training, including apprenticeship, at all levels of employment.