Director, Facilities Portfolio Management
DescriptionThe Director, Facilities Portfolio Management ensures the optimal utilization of the organization's facilities. The Director, Facilities Portfolio Management requires an in-depth understanding of how organization capabilities interrelate across the function or segment. In addition to leading the day-to-day operations of the function, this leader also provides the strategic vision for the function – exploring and incorporating industry best practices in outsourcing, maintenance, energy management, technology applications, tenant services and supply chain management. The leader will proactively deliver on cost savings initiatives to meet and exceed corporate goals.
Location Requirement - Role is based out of Louisville KY Headquarters – Hybrid/Office work environment.
Humana is seeking to find an experienced and seasoned real estate leader to oversee facility management services for its diverse 500+ location portfolio. The scope and scale of this role is vast. Candidates must come with a strong leadership background and deep knowledge of how to execute facilities management through an outsourced model that includes office, clinical, retail, production, and critical/data center environments. This role supports services and facility infrastructure support for 500+ facilities and will lead and an insourced / outsourced organization of over 100 FTE’s across an 10 MM sq. ft. of real estate properties.
In addition to leading the day-to-day operations of the function, it is expected this leader of Humana’s facilities management services will also provide the strategic vision for the function – exploring and incorporating industry best practices in outsourcing, maintenance, energy management, technology applications, tenant services and supply chain management. The leader will proactively deliver on cost savings initiatives to meet and exceed corporate goals.
It’s critical that the leader is skilled in the area of people leadership. The leader should be able to inspire their team to excellence, have a passion for coaching and developing talent, and take a “people/talent first” approach in their leadership style. The individual should be a strong communicator and have the ability to build relationships with other senior leaders across the Humana enterprise. They should understand how to build creditability in a complex organization and use the skill of influence in getting things done. This leader should also be well versed in managing and leading teams that are outsourced to strategic real estate vendor partners as well. They should be very comfortable in managing facility services in an outsourced environment and understand contract structures for these types of operating models.
The leader will also be responsible for enterprise business continuity planning and disaster recovery planning in conjunction with Risk Management, Global Security, Landlords, City & State officials, and other organizations to ensure that Humana’s facilities are operational during times of emergencies like inclement weather, severe weather, regional utility outages, or security threats. This leader will also need to work and collaborate with other Workplace functions include Project & Construction Management, Transactions and Lease Administration, Space and Move Management, Energy & Sustainability, Process Improvement & Governance, Design & Standards, and Business Consulting to ensure outcomes are optimal for all end users and customers.
As this leader will be responsible to the operations and maintenance of Humana’s enterprise multi-million dollar real estate and facilities portfolio, they will need to have strong technical knowledge in all areas of building infrastructure including but not limited to Mechanical Systems (Fire & Life Safety Systems, Boilers, Chillers, Air Handlers, Uninterrupted Power Supplies, Generators, general HVAC systems, Pumps, Elevator Systems), Civil and Structural building designs, and Electrical systems including Building Automation Systems.
The leader should be ready to be a “visionary leader” of an insourced and outsourced organization of up to 100 FTE’s and manage a facilities repairs and maintenance budget enterprise wide of up to $60MM for a portfolio that’s approximately 10MM sq. ft.
The leader should also be able to present to large audiences and explain complex facilities management topics to a variety of individuals and colleagues including and ranging from c-suite level executives, industry experts, local city/state officials, and Humana’s associates. The leader will be expected to network across the industry and bring thought leadership and best practices to this key functional area of Workplace. They will also be expected to attend professional and industry events as an expert in their field.
Some of the requirements of the role include but are not limited to:
- Candidates will have had a successful career showing consistent career progression into roles of increasing responsibility, complexity, and scale.
- Will have experience leading a team responsible for all the afore mentioned responsibilities and have a track record of introducing innovation and best practices into all aspects of facilities policies, procedures, and practices.
- Experience in leading a strategic organization focused on outsourcing relationships and service integration.
- Experience managing and working with an array of service providers
- Experience improving performance and service metrics, and significantly reducing costs.
- A person who considers themselves to be an out-of-box thinker.
- A person who creates and maintains a safety-first culture by promoting and driving safe work practices, timely training & best practices to promote safe behavior.
- A well rounded businessperson who partners effectively with stakeholders and who can earn the respect and trust of peers and members of the senior management team.
- A recognized reputation for inspirational leadership and for getting things done
- Industry knowledge, relationships, and market presence when interfacing outside of Humana.
- A strong focus on metrics, data, and financial results.
- Strong communication skills – both written and oral. A high energy, proactive, dynamic and committed leader who instills passion in both internal and external audiences.
- An absolute attention to detail.
- Unquestioned integrity.
- Leverage resources across the enterprise.
- Operate and maintain properties in conjunction with key business partners like IT, Pharmacy Operations, etc.
- Operate to ensure organization and cleanliness in agile work environments.
- Operate safely and in a compliant manner to support uninterrupted business operations.
- Plan and drive asset sustainment initiatives.
- Ensure the facilities meet appropriate life spans.
- Manage performance to Key Performance Indicator and Service Level Agreements
- Build of culture of strong relationship management with key leaders across the enterprise
- Provide design input, purpose-built buildings and infrastructure that comply with the principles of economic, social and ecological sustainability.
- Provide input and manage employee health and safety program for facilities management
- Optimize total-cost-of-ownership over the life of the asset, maintaining design knowledge within company guidelines and specifications, and benchmark to industry practices, and;
- Identify and implement practical and measurable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.
- Develop building and infrastructure asset management plans and practices that minimize system downtime, time spent on maintenance and cleaning, and indirect materials costs.
- Establish preventive and condition-based maintenance and industrial cleaning practices.
- Assist sites with developing forward looking investments for operating, maintaining, refurbishing and replacing assets to sustain acceptable standards of service, and provide technical assistance for building and infrastructure failure analysis.
- Develop guiding principles and strategies that document the business priorities/physical requirements to optimize the portfolio and deliver cost efficient move services.
- Implement common tools for forecasting, spending, and reporting project finances
- Develop common contracting strategies and a common interface with Procurement
- Ensure implementation of best safety practices and lessons learned.
- Establish common reporting of safety incidents.
- Establish a common process for pre-qualification of contractors and vendors, through a 3rd party out-source partner.
- Evaluate current resource allocation to assure staff is properly positioned based on their technical capabilities and effectiveness.
- Set training requirements for establishing common tools and processes, and establish job descriptions and qualifications for key roles.
An undergraduate degree in facilities management, real estate, engineering, construction management, or science/technical degree is required. An MBA, or advanced engineering degree, is highly desired and strongly preferred.
Must have 10 – 15 + years of experience in Facilities Management, with 8 or more years of management experience
Travel required 30% - 40%
After-hours support as required
Role based in Louisville, KY
Must be passionate about contributing to an organization focused on continuously improving consumer experiences
Scheduled Weekly Hours40